Why do spaniels wear hats? There are 5 reasons for this!
You may have seen spaniels (or other long-eared dogs) in hats covering their ears. Is it so? And if not, then why do spaniels walk in hats?
In the photo: spaniel in a hat for the ears. Photo: ess-club.ru
Spaniels can wear hats for several reasons:
- The cap protects the ears of a spaniel or representative of another long-eared breed from dirt into slush. And the ears dry for a long time, since the hair covering them is quite thick. Therefore, if you don’t put a hat on the dog, there’s a great risk of getting at least mats, and even a fungal disease. You can, of course, after each walk to dry the ears of the spaniel with a hairdryer and comb, but it's easier to use a hat.
- A spaniel following a trail often simply steps on its ears, which is unpleasant. The hat helps to avoid this.
- The cap physically protects the spaniel's ears: in summer from burdock and other thorns, in winter - from snow.
- Sometimes spaniel puppies have fun chewing on their ears. And then a hat can be a way out.
- Sometimes spaniels wear hats even at home, for example, during meals, so that their ears do not fall into a bowl and do not get dirty.